Thursday, July 14, 2011

Who's On Your Team?

If you didn't know, I am very dependent on public transportation to get my booty to and from places, town to town, and have been known to travel over 120 miles via public city buses... One thing I actually do like about public transportation is not having to worry about gas, insurance, car payments...nor do I have to pay attention to the road when I'm starting to daze off into La La Land. 

Another upside to public transportation is that I have come to meet a few fascinating people. There is one person that I remember the most because she has been a God-send to me, in small, yet significant ways. She is a bus driver and she has worked for my county's public transportation department for years. What resounds to me the most about her is that she isn't afraid to share her Christianity with anyone who needs inspiration or uplifting.


Today while on the bus, she was talking to another lady about how she tries to keep her spirit up and her heart on God because, even though she doesn't feel well with her kidney and liver problems, she knows that He provides comfort and peace. It touched my heart because when I see good Christians doing God's work, being selfless people who go out of their way (unpaid, might I say) to give people a ride home in the pouring rain, or give encouragement in a Godly way, it shows the love and compassion of Christ's heart, and it saddens me to see them struggling with their health and finances.

I have known this driver for a long time, although with my moving to and fro, changing hairstyles and colors, gaining and losing weight over the last four years, she doesn't remember me. I understand that as there are over 30,000 people who ride these buses every month. It would be hard to keep up! However, a few years ago, the first time I ever met her was when I was lugging two heavy suitcases and my backpack about 3/4 miles from my old house to the nearest bus stop. She was off-duty, a common citizen in her own vehicle, and stopped and asked me if I needed a ride. Not only did she give me a ride down to the bus terminal, but she had also uplifted spirit--and I had been having a rough day. I think back to that day though and remember how it turned out for the better because someone had allowed God to use them in a kind and amazing way. It really shows that we never know how God is using us to be lights in other people's lives and that we should always expect to be of His purpose (like Jeremiah 29:11 says, " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'they are to prosper you and not to harm you, but to give you hope and a future.' " No matter where we are at in our day, we should always be grateful for the little things that God provides unexpectedly, and be joyous for the fruits that other Christian soldiers bring. 

After all, we are the saints in this world and are an expanded team--God's team. Team Jesus! Now that's the team I want to be on! When we see another team member struggling, we need to be prepared to help them, not stopping our walk or place in the brigade, but to uplift and bring encouragement, as well as help the other person up and shake off their pains. (Ephesians 6:18: And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (NIV) )

That's the kind of teamwork that gets things complete--in the name of Jesus and in God's will for His people. He loves us all so much and has a purpose for each and every one of us. Let us open our hearts and ears to Him and see the miracles we can do for each other. After all, He has equipped us with His power: the blood poured upon us. The baptism of the Holy Ghost. We are ready to bust out our biggest weapon of all: prayer! So that is what my heart says to do--pray for the saint who does God's good works. =]

Hut, hut...Pray all! =D (sorry if that's kind of a lame pun...it was a pun in reference to American sport lingo. "Hut hut, play ball!" hehe)

I hope you all are having wonderfully blessed days!

With much love and my mightiest weapon, 

Your Emmy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...